Advanced Biofuels Symposium
When? 27 – 29 May 2014
Where? Ottawa Conference and Event Centre, 200 Coventry Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
A Big Thank You to ABS 2014 Participants!
We are honoured that you attended BioFuelNet’s Advanced Biofuels Symposium and thank you for making this event a big success! We thank all our speakers, chairs, volunteers and all the dedicated efforts from all the participant who traveled from afar to be with us. Our ABS photo album and HQP workshop photos are available for viewing on our Facebook page.
Your feedback is important to us!
In order to make next year’s ABS even better, please take a few minutes to provide us with your feedback in these short anonymous surveys:
Join us for one of Canada’s most important advanced biofuels events! BioFuelNet, the largest biofuels network in Canada, is organizing the Advanced Biofuels Symposium to bridge the gaps between research, industry and government and further the development of the Canadian biofuels sector.
The Advanced Biofuels Symposium will enhance coordination of research efforts in Canada, and foster new ideas for research, collaboration and business development. Each of the Symposium sessions will be truly integrative in terms of subject matter (e.g. areas of the biofuels processing chain) and will foster active participation from industry players, researchers, government and graduate students alike. Presentations, discussions and networking sessions will cover key areas of advanced biofuels research in the context of sustainability, commercialization and policy development.
We are honoured that Elizabeth May, Green Party Leader, Member of Parliament and Officer of the Order of Canada, will be joining us on May 28th to deliver a keynote speech. She will then be joining a panel discussing sustainable biofuels: the roles of academia, industry and government.
We’re thrilled to welcome, award winning film director and energy pioneer, Josh Tickell, who will be delivering a keynote speech on May 29th. He directed the documentary film, “Fuel”, which won the Best Documentary Award at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. See Josh Tickell’s biography and his TED Talk here!
Professor Martin Tangney will be joining us all the way from Scotland for a keynote speech on May 29th. He is the Director of the Biofuel Research Centre at Edinburgh Napier University and Founder/CSO of Celtic Renewables Ltd. See Martin Tangney’s TED Talk entitled, “Biofuels, Whiskey and Me”, where he shares his process of developing biofuel from the by-products of one of Scotland’s largest industries, the Malt Whisky industry.
Air Canada will be hosting the Symposium dinner at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum on 28 May 2014. You will dine amongst an international collection aircrafts, and enjoy full access to the museum. There will be a cocktail and a lovely gourmet dinner, with options for vegetarians and meat lovers alike. A great networking opportunity and an eventful night are in store!
HQP workshop on business basics
Students and postdocs are invited to attend our annual HQP Workshop to learn important business and career development skills. It’s free for BioFuelNet Highly Qualified Personnel (HQP)! The workshop begins at 8:30 am on 27 May 2014 in Ottawa (same venue as the advanced Biofuels Symposium).
**Please provide your feedback on the HQP Workshop by answering this short anonymous online survey**
- Create bonds and synergies between research, industry and government
- Bridge gaps, and find solutions and strategies for the path forward for Canadian biofuels development
- Foster new ideas for research, collaboration, business development and government involvement
Meeting sessions will cover
- Roles of academia, industry and government in the development of sustainable biofuels
- Strategies for small and medium biofuels enterprises to interact and integrate into the fuel industry
- Government policy for a thriving biofuels industry
- Environmental, social and economic sustainability of biofuels
- Entrepreneurism: now to start a biofuel company
- Employment in the bioeconomy: who is hiring?
- Forestry biomass for biofuel production
- Purpose-grown feedstocks: yields, sustainability and high-value co-products
- Production and conversion of algae and novel feedstocks
Conversion & Utilization
- Thermal conversion: challenges and opportunities
- Development and scale-up of novel conversion pathways
- Engines, combustion and biofuels
Fuels & Bioproducts
- Biojet fuel strategies for commercial air transport
- Cellulosic ethanol: the path to commercialization
- Adding value to biofuel production through bioproducts
Interested in sponsoring this event? Check out our meeting prospectus
Advanced Biofuels Symposium Sponsorship List
Click here to learn more about this important event!