Advanced Biofuels Symposium 2014
**Save the date for BioFuelNet’s Advanced Biofuels Symposium 2015**
When? 22 – 24 July 2015
Where? Montreal, Quebec
Advanced Biofuels Symposium 2014
The 2014 Advanced Biofuels Symposium was held at the Ottawa Conference and Event Centre (Ottawa, Ontario) from 27 – 29 May 2014
A Big Thank You to ABS 2014 Participants!
We are honoured that you attended BioFuelNet’s Advanced Biofuels Symposium and thank you for making this event a big success! We thank all our speakers, chairs, volunteers and all the dedicated efforts from all the participant who traveled from afar to be with us. Our ABS photo album and HQP workshop photos are available for viewing on our Facebook page.
- Create bonds and synergies between research, industry and government
- Bridge gaps, and find solutions and strategies for the path forward for Canadian biofuels development
- Foster new ideas for research, collaboration, business development and government involvement
We are honoured that Elizabeth May, Green Party Leader, Member of Parliament and Officer of the Order of Canada, joined us on May 28th to deliver a keynote speech. She then be joined a panel discussing sustainable biofuels: the roles of academia, industry and government.
We also welcomed award winning film director and energy pioneer, Josh Tickell, who delivered a keynote speech on May 29th. He directed the documentary film, “Fuel”, which won the Best Documentary Award at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. See Josh Tickell’s biography and his TED Talk here!
Professor Martin Tangney joined us all the way from Scotland for a keynote speech on May 29th. He is the Director of the Biofuel Research Centre at Edinburgh Napier University and Founder/CSO of Celtic Renewables Ltd. See Martin Tangney’s TED Talk entitled, “Biofuels, Whiskey and Me”, where he shares his process of developing biofuel from the by-products of one of Scotland’s largest industries, the Malt Whisky industry.
Air Canada hosted the Symposium dinner at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum on 28 May 2014. We dined amongst an international collection aircrafts, and enjoyed full access to the museum.
HQP workshop on business basics
Students and postdocs were invited to attend our annual HQP Workshop to learn important business and career development skills.
Meeting sessions covered
- Roles of academia, industry and government in the development of sustainable biofuels
- Strategies for small and medium biofuels enterprises to interact and integrate into the fuel industry
- Government policy for a thriving biofuels industry
- Environmental, social and economic sustainability of biofuels
- Entrepreneurism: now to start a biofuel company
- Employment in the bioeconomy: who is hiring?
- Forestry biomass for biofuel production
- Purpose-grown feedstocks: yields, sustainability and high-value co-products
- Production and conversion of algae and novel feedstocks
Conversion & Utilization
- Thermal conversion: challenges and opportunities
- Development and scale-up of novel conversion pathways
- Engines, combustion and biofuels
Fuels & Bioproducts
- Biojet fuel strategies for commercial air transport
- Cellulosic ethanol: the path to commercialization
- Adding value to biofuel production through bioproducts