HQP Exchange Applications
Applications for an exchange taking place after March 31st 2017 will NOT be accepted.
BioFuelNet Canada (BFN) is a multi-disciplinary network funded by the federal Network of Centres of Excellence (NCE) program. An important mandate for the Network is the development of Highly Qualified Personnel (HQP), which includes the facilitation of HQP exchanges.
2. Goals of exchanges
Exchanges can be either domestic (within Canada) or international. Student (HQP) exchanges are intended to accomplish some or all of the following (non-exhaustive):
- Strengthening interactions and improving communications within BFN’s community
- Transferring knowledge between labs
- Providing exposure to different problem solving approaches, techniques and opinions
- Further developing technology
- Strengthening international relationships and increasing BFN’s and Canada’s exposure overseas
3. Grants available
A minimum of 20 grants will be made available. Grants will be capped at $4200 for international exchanges and $3000 for domestic exchanges.
4. Duration of exchanges
BioFuelNet encourages exchanges of up to three months, but recognizes that in most cases additional funds will be needed to supplement the present grant. Since BioFuelNet’s HQP exchange grant covers travel, housing, and meals, it is understood that the duration of the exchange may be reduced if the cost of travel is elevated. Applications for exchanges less than 1 week will not be accepted.
5. Eligible expenses
Expenditures of BFN grant funds are subject to the conditions of the three granting councils, NSERC, SSHRC and the CIHR. Original receipts must be provided for travel expenses. Housing and meals are collectively reimbursed at a per-diem rate of $100 per day – receipts are therefore not required. HQP are encouraged to seek low-cost housing such as short-term apartment rentals rather than hotels. Please also refer to the reimbursement procedure.
**You must submit all your receipts for reimbursement within 30 days of the end of your exchange.
6. HQP eligibility
- Be currently enrolled at an institution that has signed BFN’s Network Agreement
- Be enrolled in a Master’s, PhD or post-doctoral program
- Have been listed in the most recent progress report as a supporting HQP for one of BFN’s projects
- Demonstrate appropriate healthcare coverage is in place
7. Application procedure
- Register on the member portal: http://portal.biofuelnet.ca/register (*select “HQP” as your category)
- Access HQP forms here (http://portal.biofuelnet.ca/docs/hqp) or through the top menu under forms and select HQP Exchange
- Click New Exchange, fill out the form and submit your application
- Once you submit your application, your supervisor will receive an email requesting approval through the member portal
- BFN will then get back to you shortly
This is an open call for applications. Applications must be received at least 6 weeks before your exchange begins.
Application forms will be reviewed by BFN’s HQP Committee, which has the authority to approve or reject the proposals.
All internships must bring added value to BFN. The student must demonstrate in their written statement how the exchange complements BFN or brings value or strengthens his/her project or lab. Special consideration will be given to exchanges that incorporate elements of social, economic and environmental sustainability.
The HQP committee will approve the HQP exchange grants based on the following priority levels:
1. Exchanges within BFN labs
2. Exchanges to research institutes and industry, opportunities to exchange technologies
3. Exchanges bringing in new partnerships